Guy Kawasaki Interview - Blogger help, tips and hacks

Guy Kawasaki Interview


Guy Kawasaki is a venture capitalist and the founder of Truemors.com, a website that tracks the latest rumors. He also has written a number of entrepremeurship books and blogs over at How to Change the World.

1. Why do you run a personal blog? In your opinion, what re the main benefits and downsides to running a personal blog?

Sometimes I ask myself this question too. There are several reasons—and at any given point they change in importance. First, I have a moral obligation to try to make the world a better place. My blog enables me to disseminate information that I hope helps others do this. Second, advertising revenue. Third, it brings me business as a speaker. Fourth, it increases deal flow for Garage.


2. Do you think start-ups should create a blog? If so, what are the main advantages of doing so?

They should if they have something to say. It will definitely help their branding and their search results because it enables people to see “under the hood” and become more familiar with a company. However, it takes a lot of time and effort, and time and energy is in short supply in most startups. Thus, blogging should be considered a “cost” just as any other marketing cost, and you need to analyze it in terms of cost/benefit.

3. Your blog has a very high feed readership. What advice do you have for someone who wants more people to read their feeds?

I don’t know why my blog has such a high feed readership. I get about 8,000-10,000 views a day, and there are about 115,000 subscribers. That ratio makes no sense to me. But to answer your question– not to be too simplistic–they should produce good content. No matter how you much you think about increasing readership, that’s the key.

4. You use the TypePad blogging platform over Wordpress. Why did you choose TypePad and what advantages do you feel it has over Wordpress?

When I started blogging, I didn’t know a thing about how to do it. My friend was CEO of Six Apart, so I figured that if anything went wrong, I had major connections. This is like buying a car from a dealer that you know the owner. My blog is still on TypePad, and it’s been a very good experience. Truemors, by contrast, is on Word Press because Truemors has much for functionality.

5. Tell us a little bit about Truemors.com and how bloggers can use the site.

The goal of truemors is to democratize information. We people to be able to spread the news that they consider important, intelligent, and interesting. You can think of it as user-generated editing—as opposed to user-generated content—because our truemorists search the world to find interesting articles. My goal for Truemors is that it become “NPR for your eyes” in the sense of the high-quality of NPR stories.

6. What blogs do you like to read?

Tricky question. I get feeds from over 100 because I have to monitor many news sources as the co-founder of Truemors. But that’s not what you’re asking. Honestly, I read no blogs in the sense that you’re asking. People point out specific entries to me and I search for my own name and Truemors to see what they world is saying about me, but I don’t read any per se. That said, this will probably change with Kindle because Kindle makes is so much more convenient to read blogs.

7. What is the most important piece of advice that you have for anyone who wants to get VC money for their new startup?

Start the process after you’ve built and shipped your prototype. The best time to raise money is after you’ve “proven” that the dogs will eat the food.

8. What is the number one piece of advice you have for new bloggers?

Whenever you are about to post an entry, ask yourself this question: “Why should anyone give a shiitake that I just wrote this?” If there is no good answer, then keep writing until there is a good answer.


Did you like this article ?
Subscribe to my RSS feed and get more blogging tips, Plus a lot more great advice to help your blog.

Related Posts by Categories



Widget by John
  1. 0 comments: Responses to “ Guy Kawasaki Interview ”

 

 Subscribe in a reader

Latest Free Blogger Templates
Template 01 Template - 02 see more templates
demo - 01 demo - 02
Click here for Demo Click here for Demo How to Installed Tips
Download the Temp01 Download the Temp-2  

Blogger Help: Recent Comments

SUBSCRIBE TO BLOGGER HELP

 Subscribe to Bloggers Help via RSS
Add to Technorati Favorites